Welcome to my blog...it's very much a work in progress and something I wish I had more time to spend on. Please feel free to post comments and suggestions and if you have a recipe you would like to share then please feel free to email me on realityjules@yahoo.com.au

Thursday, April 29, 2010

Quince paste

I bought some quinces on special at Harris Farm last weekend and had no idea really what I should use them for. I have never cooked with them but do love their flavour.

After spending quite some time looking for recipes on all my favourite foodie websites I settled on a quince paste recipe which I then modified to make less time consuming.

Process went like this....

Peel, core and dice 3 large quinces. Add to a pot with 1/2 cup cold water. Simmer for 30mins or until it goes pink and soft. You may need to add a little more water during this process to prevent sticking or burning. I think I added about an extra 100ml or so.

Next step is to blend the quinces to a smooth paste. I just used my stick blender in the same pot. You could of course pour into a food processor, but why make more washing up for yourself.






Then return to heat, add 3 cups of sugar and simmer on a low heat until the sugar is disolved. This took approx 15 to 20mins.




I cheated on the next bit...recipe said simmer on ultra low heat for 3 hours. I started to do this but the mix was catching on the bottom of the saucepan so I decided to pour into a lined slice tin and bake on about 70 degrees C for 3 hours instead.




Once the mix is a gorgeous deep pinky brown, turn oven off and allow to cool in oven. I refrigerated mine for 24 hours then cut into 4cm squares, wrapped in greaseproof paper and put some in the fridge to use this weekend and some in the freezer for later.

The taste is divine and perfect with a sharp vintage cheddar or a good smelly blue.

No comments:

Post a Comment