Welcome to my blog...it's very much a work in progress and something I wish I had more time to spend on. Please feel free to post comments and suggestions and if you have a recipe you would like to share then please feel free to email me on realityjules@yahoo.com.au

Thursday, April 29, 2010

Rhubarb and Hazelnut torte

My rhubarb has struggled a little this year...not sure why really. It has had really short thick stalks and massive leaves.

I was out pottering in the garden yesterday and picked the 6 stems that were nice and red and really wanted to try some sort of dessert cake with the rhubarb.

I found a recipe and modified it to suit what I had in the cupboard.

Original recipe used almonds instead of hazelnuts and had about twice the amount of rhubarb which I think would have been too much.

Recipe is as follows:

170g butter
170g ground hazelnuts (buy whole and blitz in your food processor, much nicer than bought ground hazelnuts)
170g caster sugar
170g self-raising flour
1 tsp cinnamon
2 eggs
200g rhubarb, cut into small chunks

Preheat your oven to 160degC and line and grease a 20cm round springform cake tin.

Mix dry ingredients, add butter and eggs. Mix well.

Do not add rhubarb to this mix.

Divide mix in half and spread half the mix into the bottom of your tin. Spread rhubarb evenly over the mix, try and keep it from touching the sides of the tin. Spread second half of mix over the top of the rhubarb. It doesn't have to be perfect...the rustic look is in!

Bake for approx 1 hour.

Cake is quite crispy on the outside and so lush and fruity on the inside. Serve warm with a dollop of cream or custard.

No comments:

Post a Comment